Frequently Asked Questions


New-Gen Automation Limited prices may vary based on different time. Upon contacting our company for more details, we will provide you with a quotation.

Minimum Order Quantity (MOQ)

Yes, we welcome bulk orders, and our MOQ is one.

Certificates and Documentation

We can supply documentation, including Certificates of Origin/Conformance and other export documents upon request.

Delivery Time

  • For in stock items, our standard delivery time is approximately 1-3 days after receiving the payment.
  • For items with specified lead times, we will deliver as per the quoted lead time.

Payment Methods

  1. We accept 100% T/T (Telegraphic Transfer) payment before shipping.
  2. For items with lead times, a 30% deposit is required in advance, with the remaining 70% balance due before shipping.
  3. If you have an agent in China, please contact us for RMB transfer options.


  1. We offer a standard one-year warranty for new and original items.
  2. If the end-user wishes to extend the warranty period, please reach out to us for additional cost details.

Shipping Method

  1. We primarily use FedEx, DHL, TNT, and UPS for shipping.
  2. If you have existing accounts with these carriers, you can arrange shipping yourself.
  3. We also offer free shipping to your China agent.

Shipping Fees

The buyer is responsible for covering the shipping costs. We will assist you in finding an economical and fast carrier for your shipment.

Bank Account

  1. For RMB transfers, please contact us for our RMB account details.
  2. For USD or Euro transfers, please contact us to obtain our USD or Euro account information.